... making an omelette

Saturday, July 29, 2006

And now for something REALLY neat...!!!

There are at least four people who are going to want to discuss this with me at great length, and all I have to say to them is "FUCK YOU!!!"

I just got a "Dear John" VOICEMAIL from a woman I am NOT dating, who I haven't seen in SIX YEARS!!! I didn't know that was remotely possible. Well, at least I have never conceived of it.

There's a lot of story behind this but to give the short version, Prospective Cancer Girl, who I am now calling PCG for ease and because the "prospectiveness" of the cancer is gone, was gone for two weeks on business and vacation, and we hadn't talked. She apparently got back and left me several messages, which, thanks to Sprint PCS sucking, I didn't get for more than two weeks. So I left a somewhat irritated message for her, which she responded to with an irritated message. On Thursday I got her messages and we talked, and she told me up front she was having a rough week, so I tried to do the teddy bear thing - which I am not good at, you might be able to tell. I also have had a tough few weeks, so I was in a generally unpleasant mood. I thought I was handling it pretty well.

She was all preoccupied with her having some sort of psychological problem, and I informed her that I think she has no problems and is generally well-envied. This would usually be a good thing to say, right? I explained my theory that people these days just have a lower threshhold for discomfort, and so they bail when things get a little unpleasant, and this explains the divorce rate, abortion, alienation, etc. So then she started telling me that she was going to see a therapist, and I did some more "there's nothing wrong with you" talk. All of a sudden she started crying. This is nothing new. What happens usually is she tells me she's going to go, and I keep her on the phone until she calms down. That's what happened with the cancer conversation in fact. This time, she hung up on me. She's NEVER hung up on me before. EVER. We didn't talk for five years because of some horrible things I said to her, and she didn't hang up on me that time.

I figured she didn't want me to call her back, so I sent her some emails with jokes and things, general expressions of concern, and left a voicemail at her apartment while I knew she was at work the next day.

Today she left me a voicemail (when she knew I would not answer) telling me that we're "developing a pattern where [I] hurt [her] and apologize later" and she's "not a fan" (a phrase borrowed from my lexicon) of that. She also said that's one of the reasons we didn't talk for five years. Then there was some junk about "sorry to leave this in a voicemail" and "enjoying my three days off without being on call [her job puts her on call], may not call [me], this weekend," and her voice was choking up.

I'm a little confused by all this. We weren't dating. In fact, we had joked about how we weren't dating, and never would, before she went on vacation. One of the things we talked about on Thursday was some new guy she likes, and I joked she meets a new guy every two weeks, which she challenged, so I listed them. Hanging up was uncool. Leaving me a voicemail accusing me of ... whatever the hell I'm being accused of is just thoughtless and inconsiderate. Can't you just not call someone back? That's what I would do.

I'm sort of caught here. Do you call the person you weren't dating who dumped you in a voicemail back? I'm a little worried about the convergence of things going on with her right now, and she's got all those medical issues, and that whole bizarre "my father died when I was young" thing, as well as a few other things that I won't mention here. I also think that, while I like associating with her, and I think she's very good for ME, if I'm not good for HER, I'm the one in the best position to bear a burden here, and we can go another 5 years without talking. I'm also a little surprised (shocked), angry, sad, confused (bewildered), and ... frankly, AMUSED. Who gets dumped by friends? In a VOICEMAIL? I'm waiting to hear on CNN about some crazy suicide attempt in LA.

She is such a train-wreck. Don't they just make pills that cause people to not be train-wrecks? Can we jolt her with some electricity or hit her in the head or something and just fix her already?

5 Comments:

  • I think I've been dumped by a friend before. It was bizarre, but not your type of intense drama bizarre.

    Maybe she's hormonal? I know a lot of girls go near-insane when they're hormonal. Logic doesn't apply.

    I vote for not contacting her until she contacts you. Unless you actually like her as more than a friend, then it's an entirely different scenario. For friends though, you don't have to put up with this much emotion.

    Just my thoughts.

    By Blogger PinkBunny, at 7/30/2006 10:46:00 AM  

  • The little brat just wants attention - if you want to deal with it call her.

    If not... don't - she might get over her bipolarism

    I do that kind of shit with the ex when I feel lonely and depressed. I make him feel guilty as if it was him that was making me sad, and sit there while he says a bunch of nice things to me to make me feel better.

    Yes I'm a bitch, atleast I'll admit it. She's doing the same thing. I can SMEEEEELL it.

    miss you G

    By Blogger Nic, at 7/31/2006 02:11:00 PM  

  • You know, I'm a little ... unsettled by your insinuation, and by you calling her a brat, but frankly, while I think her problems may be more biological than that, the logic is sound.

    Haven't called her. Her insinuation was that she has a three day weekend that she would enjoy more if she didn't have to deal with this situation. I'm still stinging from the line "Sometimes I feel 100 times worse when I talk to you." I'm not sure I would be very nice to her if I called her right now.

    Last time I said some horrible things, and told her I would call her back and never did. If I had never spoken with her again I would never have been able to get over it. This time, I've been about as available and understanding as I could have been. If I never speak to her again I won't be happy, but I will be comfortable that I did not mistreat or wrong her in any way.

    Did I mention we're not dating? She has at least 3/4 of a dozen better, more appropriate people to call and hang up on (not all of which are men).

    And continuing with this theme...

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 7/31/2006 06:01:00 PM  

  • Maybe you can still talk to her... but... less often?

    Be more of a hang out buddy vs. let me spill all my crap to you buddy

    By Blogger Nic, at 8/01/2006 05:10:00 AM  

  • So I can make her feel 100 times worse, what, once a month? Like an emotional period?

    I don't know why this is, because I really am an asshole, but I tend to be a "spill all your crap" buddy. I'm hard to be friends with when things are going well and you feel like you're in control, but when things suck, I fix them, or help people figure things out. The costs are high, but the rewards, though rare, are pretty high too.

    Back to the grind...

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 8/01/2006 04:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home