... making an omelette

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Slaaaammmed

Ever had so much work to do you actually had to figure out which things you could fix not getting done on time so you could put them to the back of the list? I'm there.

Somewhere along the line I became my firm's "appellate guy," which means not only am I getting tasked with all the brief writing, I am now getting tagged to do oral argument, I am asked to do the research to set a hearing/trial issue up for appeal, and I am asked to do trial briefs and memos. This on top of the cases I'm actually working on. I just got handed a case that goes to oral argument in a few months, and the person who wrote our brief sort of missed the point of the case. When an appellate court grants an oral argument or considers an appeal that isn't as a matter of right, it's because the court wants to make some law. In this case, I think I've figured out what law they want to make. The problem is, it's not a point made in our brief. D'OH!! This means oral argument is going to be a lot like playing dodgeball with cannonballs against ogres.

What I do nowadays involves a lot of independent medical examinations and record reviews. To do this we have to go through all the records and make a summary (yay paralegals) which I rarely have to do (yay paralegals), but I have to go through. Then I have to write a long cover letter to the doctor that points out basic medical background and history, which means I have to read through bajillions of medical records. Eventually the Dr. has to look at the records and/or the patient, usually both with us, and that's when the fun starts.


This is why I'm up ass-early on a saturday. I've been working for hours. This sort of sucks, but is also sort of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home