... making an omelette

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Still the Galactichero

Neither "galactic" nor "hero" is species specific. In fact, "galactic" sort of implies inclusiveness - all things in the galaxy. Otherwise, it would be a pretty elitist life I would have to lead.

As a rule, I don't kill things that don't immediately threaten me or others. I take spiders and beetles outside. I teach 5 year olds that most creatures want the same things he wants: to eat, and sleep, and have a place to poop, and be safe, and have fun (it's hard to explain reproduction to a 5 y/o without getting a felony conviction around here). I personally believe that understanding one's place in that whole play is the secret to enlightenment. Not just being able to enunciate it, but "understanding it," on an innate, preconscious level, where it's not a concern, because you know your place in things, and you get to eat, and sleep, and have a place to poop, and be safe, and have fun without contrivance.

I once again had a houseguest.
I was doing my blog-thing and he ran by. I set up my livetraps, but he was in my bathroom, so I tracked him down. We had an energetic game of catch. I won. I snapped few pictures, and brought him to a big field about 4 miles up the road.

The best part of not killing things is releasing them. He sort of sat there thinking... "THIS is not what I expected." Then he took stock of where he was, took a few steps, and took off. He gets a nice new place to live, and I get one more piece of the puzzle to explain my place in things.

Eat, sleep, and poop away, all.

3 Comments:

  • What a small little mouse! He's kinda cute. Luckily we never have mouses anymore since we moved (yeaaars ago), but I'm still really scared of bugs. I just freak when I see them, especially spiders =S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/21/2007 10:06:00 AM  

  • I have some very scary spiders at my house. I'll post some pictures.

    I also have some cool praying mantises though.

    Eat, sleep, and poop away.

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 8/21/2007 06:00:00 PM  

  • You stopped by my blog recently and I remembered you. I thought I would stop by and say "hi and thanks for stopping by".

    I notice you haven't posted since July of last year. Hope all is well for you.

    I had linked your site to my blog but when I upgraded to Beta version, it fell off and I couldn't remember how to find you.....

    Anyway, take care.

    By Blogger A Girl From Texas, at 2/09/2008 04:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home