... making an omelette

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bad parenting... you can't take it back.

I have a friend with two little kids. One is 2.5, the other is 5.5. I lived with this family for 2 years. I'm sort of the third parent in with these kids. The elder is in that rambunctious 5 y/o stage, and he runs around and yells, and hits, and throws things, and doesn't listen - all things you can expect from that age. I'm usually extremely patient with children and animals, but this kid and I have a running disconnect regarding guns, violence, and not listening... he doesn't listen, to anyone, his parents allow him to watch war movies (think, band of brothers as a bedtime story), and he hits people - me, his dad, his brother, his mother, his friends. I don't like guns, and I believe that, while violence can be then answer, the resort to it creates other questions. I don't like not listening because, unlike his parents, I don't warn unless the risk is clear and significant - he can hurt himself to learn, but he can't be allowed to permanently screw himself over.

Today I lost my patience with this kid for the first time ever. He had been hitting me periodically all day, each time being told not to hit. I was filling a bottle with water at the refrigerator, and he ran up and hit me on the arms. I dropped the full bottle, and yelled something to the effect of "[insert name here] you stupid...!" I caught myself, then yelled at him for hitting, then started to clean things up. I immediately felt bad. He felt bad, at least after his parents yelled at him, and he apologized. I told him that sorry doesn't help all the time, and he needs to be careful because he is big enough to do damage now. So he apologized and I apologized.

I still feel bad. Don't lose your patience with kids. You can't take it back.

4 Comments:

  • moving to another place in town. trying to balance all that comes along with that.

    thanks for checkin in, though.
    how are you?

    By Blogger Caro, at 8/27/2007 09:15:00 PM  

  • Been a rough couple weeks. Really rough. I'll live.

    Why the move?

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 8/29/2007 08:35:00 PM  

  • moving for more space and more windows. light makes me more sane-ish.

    what's going on? why so rough?

    By Blogger Caro, at 8/30/2007 08:18:00 PM  

  • Think I had salmonella. PCG is a mess. My parents are retiring. Friend got ditched by his GF after moving across the country for her, and limped back. Work is kicking my ass. Can't sleep. Those sorts of things. I'll live.

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 9/03/2007 06:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home