... making an omelette

Saturday, April 22, 2006

The interesting week continues.

If I could ever stop having interesting things happen to me, I could get to the older things I intended to get to. Alas:

Yesterday I gave blood. The first thing they tell me afterwards, because I nearly pass out every time is "Don't do any heavy lifting for the next three days or so." So today I helped a friend move. They don't bring me along for my stunning looks and sparkling personality, so I was the heavy lifter. These people own a lot of books...

On the way back I stopped to buy some gaming stuff (I'm a geek, and hordes just came out), and there was this single car accident (it was raining), at a really, really bad interchange ramp. The guy's truck hit the concrete wall in a slide and spun around, and it was halfway up the wall. I stopped to make sure things were alright. Cars come off that interchange at 70-80 miles per hour (it's a 45 mph ramp), and we were on the downhill, inside curve part, so we stepped a bit down the ramp. Cars were nearly crashing into the truck and each other, so I got a bag of trash from another truck that stopped and put it at the edge of the road farther up. Then someone hit the trash and it ended up in the middle of the road. Then people started to swerve TO THE LEFT of the trash. Then someone swerved, the guy behind them swerved too much, and we had a second accident. Finally, after 45 minutes, the state police showed up. The moron didn't park his car at the crest of the hill, but just behind the truck. He tried to lay flares, but it was raining and people were speeding, so they just all went out. I pointed this out to him, but he wouldn't move his car. Then he told me to leave, so I did (it was still raining and I was soaked). I'm waiting to find out they all got killed by some car careening at 80 miles per hour into one or another of the cars.

Moral of the story: drive safely, don't expect the police to save you, and always have flares in your car.

12 Comments:

  • I hate morons.

    I hate driving in rain.

    I DISPISE morons driving in rain.

    end of story.

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/23/2006 08:05:00 PM  

  • I feel bad because yesterday (Sunday, yes SUNDAY) I was coming home from work -- trial prep -- and saw a pedestrian/car accident. I didn't stop. 1) other people had stopped. 2) It was on the other side of the road. 3) I wanted to get home because it was late on a Sunday afternoon and finally sunny.

    The victim was lying on the ground, not visibly broken or bleeding, but not moving. People had stopped but were all standing back. I feel guilty. Should have stopped.

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/24/2006 05:28:00 PM  

  • You wouldn't have been able to do anything.

    I once came upon a car wreck right after it happened... I feel I might have told you this story before BUT long story short.

    I tried to help, couldn't really do anything, and one of the people I was trying to help died.

    Sometimes it's easier to move on... especially when other people are already there "helping" aka gawking.

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/24/2006 05:56:00 PM  

  • That's why you stop. If they're gawking they ain't helping, and I'm arrogant enough to think I'm more likely than average to be able to help.

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/24/2006 05:58:00 PM  

  • only if you offer to be their lawyer when they sue.

    They call those people "am-bu-lance chas-ers"

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/24/2006 06:00:00 PM  

  • No, I am the child of two doctors with an above-average brain and some background in at least first-aid, CPR, etc. I also am well-trained to not panic, and to think on my feet. These are good qualities in emergencies.

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/24/2006 06:04:00 PM  

  • *sigh*

    blah blah - i'm smarter than you - blah blah blah - look at me look at me! - blah blah

    :)

    here's my card

    haha - I love this imaginary scene i'm visualizing

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/24/2006 06:06:00 PM  

  • I usually leave out the blah blah part, but that's fairly accurate...

    I actually usually just start telling people what to do, and whether I know what I'm talking about or not, they do it. This is a fun trait sometimes.

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/24/2006 06:08:00 PM  

  • There's a guy at school like that.

    He drives me crazy. He says things with such conviction, so people assume he's right - I never try to argue. It's their fault for listening to him.

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/24/2006 06:10:00 PM  

  • I have the benefit of usually being right. I try not to talk when I don't know what I'm talking about, so that when I say something it matters. Personal rule of mine.

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/24/2006 06:12:00 PM  

  • I usually say something, but if someone argues I state that I'm not sure, but it I am I argue jsut a little until they bore me.

    then I let them think they're right - because they're too dumb to know they're wrong.

    ex/
    My old roomate argued with me ringworm was actually a worm. I argued with her it wasn't, she got smippy, I told her to look it up. 4 months later she brought it up again saying she'd always known it was a fungus and remember when I told her it was a worm?... I could have killed her with the death glare until a mutual friend who was there called her out - stating that SHE in fact was the idiot.

    ... well that was a load off my chest

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/24/2006 06:15:00 PM  

  • You just need to learn to speak so there is no room for arguing. This is not a democracy, it's a state of nature, and my voice is louder and deeper... [make gorilla noises].

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/24/2006 06:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home