... making an omelette

Sunday, April 02, 2006

All this Grup crap going around

Everything in my life seems to happen in blocks... Everyone's talking about this "grups" thing. Meanwhile, a lot of my friends are having kids and getting married, and obviously, I'm not. However, I do sort of help raise the kids. I lived for two years with a friend of mine's family, and he has two small kids. Yesterday I was in their yard watching the four year old while the lawn was being mowed, etc. The four year old was being four years old, and he wanted to see bugs. Then he got bored of bugs, and I kept telling him to be patient. I found a small wood spider, and he jumped on it. I yelled at him for jumping on it, and then explained to him that he shouldn't kill things because once they're gone, they're gone. He told me that the spider was going to bite him, and I asked what made him think that. Having no answer, he told me the spider was a "bad guy" so I explained that there are no "bad guys" or "good guys," and that spiders do what spiders do, just like birds do what birds do, and people do what people do. Then we found an ant. He said the ant was cute. I was explaining to him that there were more bugs in his backyard than people who ever lived on the entire planet in all of history. At this point he got bored of bugs again and I was going to take him back around front.

That was the preamble. We were beside the fence, which is this sort of slatted picket thing, and I hadn't noticed, but my friend's neighbor's wife was sitting on the deck watching us. It was sort of like one of those things where you get walked in on doing something completely appropriate, but you get embarrased that people saw you doing it -- think taking a shit. So this lady, who is from Brazil or something, started telling me that I am very good with kids, and that I should have kids, and she told me that I am very patient, blah blah blah. I just kept giving monosyllabic grunt responses. It was sort of embarrassing to have someone catch me "parenting" without knowing they were there. I'm not generally considered the "parental" type.

See, in my head, I'm still 15 years old. That's why I avoid constant responsibility, drive too fast, wreck motorcycles, swear like a sailor, play fight with everyone. Getting caught not acting 15 years old is sort of embarrasing, because it feels disingenuous. That's why we're all grups. We all grew up in the late 80s and early 90s, which was such a screwed up time that everyone got damaged. So we all still see ourselves the way we were then. Which is why 20 somethings wear transformer t-shirts and jeans and don't shave. Or watch cartoons and read comic books. Or play games with tiny plastic people.

The crickets are back... Coooooool.

10 Comments:

  • Getting caught by family is worse.

    Then they try to set you up with their friend's brother's girlfriends sibling... and even worse, they're getting technological about it and are not only hand out your home, cell, parent's and work number - but your e mail, aim and probably myspace too.

    ACK!

    Good explaination with the spider. :)

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/14/2006 02:54:00 PM  

  • Getting caught taking a shit by family, or parenting by family? I lived with these people -literally, IN THEIR HOUSE, WITH THEIR KIDS- for 2 years... They are family.

    My family is old world Jewish. I don't even let them meet girlfriends.

    Still not sure the 4 year old gets the "don't kill things" bit, but it doesn't help that his parents kill EVERYTHING.

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/15/2006 09:55:00 PM  

  • Yes, you never bring home the guy unless he's about to pop the question - then they have to run the background check... you know

    what do you do
    how much money do you make
    what do your parents do
    how much money do they make
    are you persian
    (heaven forbid if he's not persian)
    how much money do you make
    etc etc etc

    My mother is actually getting worried that I havn't found a man yet. They you're getting old comments are coming out. She wants me to find one in medical school, I say HA! not on this damn island

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/15/2006 10:20:00 PM  

  • I just turned 30. In Jewish culture, if you're not married at 16-20, yer gay. I'm not married, nor am I gay, so I'm... unclassifiable.

    What's wrong with Persians? They make strong cats...

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/15/2006 11:05:00 PM  

  • *insert racial typcasting here*

    I dated one persian, he was horrible, he wanted a trophy. I look good on paper to a persian mom, and I come from (apparently) a good family. BUT I don't sit still, am opinionated, and will raise hell if you try to control me.

    i.e. does not date persians

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/15/2006 11:48:00 PM  

  • What is a persian, anway. There is no persia. You talking all arabs, what?

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/15/2006 11:52:00 PM  

  • AHHH! NOT ARAB!

    iranian - some consider afghans to be persian too, but they just call themselves afghans

    persian empire's center = iran i.e. persian

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/15/2006 11:54:00 PM  

  • Yeah, not a fan of "persians" myself. They tend to want my entire race dead.

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/15/2006 11:57:00 PM  

  • yes well, brainwashing does that to people

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/15/2006 11:58:00 PM  

  • They're just using too much soap...

    By Blogger Galactichero, at 4/16/2006 12:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home