... making an omelette

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Revenge: a dish best served cold

So, after leaving my job I spent 10 days taking my first vacation since 2000, and then I started looking for a job. I got the lawyer equivalent of a temp job, where we sit in a cold dark room for hours and hours looking at documents for production in a huge-ass case. BOOOOOORING. Uncertain timeframe, but tons of overtime, and you can make a fat pile... while you're working. I've worked every day but thanksgiving since 11/25, and I did 73.5 hours last week. Irony is, it's in the same building as my old firm. So I went down and ran into some of the people I used to work with, and I've had lunch with some of them, etc.

One of my ex-boss's big issues is communication. When she pulls asshole bullshit, she doesn't want anyone else to know about it. I made a point of making sure people did know about it. She hated me for it. Now, she has no control over what I say to anyone. One person I used to work with mentioned in passing that I had lunch with her, and my ex-boss was like "doesn't that make you uncomfortable." Answer was no, she didn't like it.

So anyway, my ex-boss's boss and I got along REALLY well (he likes that I'm a "maverick"), and he came into town last Friday. He asked if anyone was still in touch with me, and nearly everyone was like "yeah, I had beers with him last week" or "yeah, I had lunch with him yesterday." Then he said he would like to speak with me and to write me a letter of reference. THAT IS COOL. I got an email about it. I was about ready to walk on over, but it was suggested that my ex-boss wasn't going to be able to handle that. I told them to give him my cell number and email. That's pretty cool.

So now my ex-boss gets to deal with all that. Yay.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home