... making an omelette

Saturday, May 06, 2006

My old friend insomnia

Well, this was an interesting week. As aforenoted, a friend's father died last... Friday, I believe. I got my geek on on Saturday, then lifted and drove all over creation with a friend who I hadn't spoken with in years -- I'll get to that story in a minute. On Monday I had to go to the new firm where I met with the marketing people, filled out some paperwork, went to a local bar lunch, got my office, and was told what I'll be doing -- in a minute, wait. Tuesday, Court. Wednesday, jury trial. Thursday, court. Friday, court. Today I was a carpenter-- helping a friend with a job on a "spec house" that had to be done ASAP.

Ok, friend. When I was in high school I was the "crown prince of dorks and losers." I had the brain to be a prep, the talent and body to be a jock, the soul to be an artfag, the chops to be a bandgeek, but the disposition of a freak. I chose freak. So this left me hanging out with an assorted croud of malcontents, misfits, semi-stoners, granolas, dropouts, losers and fuckups. After high school I did the college thing (actually, I left a year early and did college fast, so I got ahead of a lot of people). In law school one of my friends from college had his family disintegrate. His mother died of cancer, two of his sisters took jobs out of the country. One of his sisters went to the West with her husband. His youngest sister was more or less adopted by another family, and his father went home to Vietnam. He had nowhere to go, so I invited him to live in my apt's extra bedroom. He's a sort of quiet guy, keeps to himself, lifts weights a lot, takes sci fi and comic books seriously. He paid a little rent, kept two jobs, did his own thing. I sort of adopted him as a little brother. After school I had to move away, so he went to live with another friend of ours. We still hung out, but I lived pretty far away. I co-signed a car loan for him because he had no credit (this matters later). After a number of job and address changes I moved back nearby, and we hung out again. One day, out of the blue, he told me I was a narcissist and he was never going to speak to me again. I wrote back that I was a bit preoccupied by some things that were going on, but that no one could call someone who helps out as many people as I do, as often, in as many different ways a "narcissist" (particularly not a guy who lived in my home because he had nowhere else to go). That was about 2 years ago. A few weeks ago I got a notice that my license would be suspended because he had not paid taxes on the car that I co-signed on. I wrote an email telling him to take care of it. He emailed back to find out what was going on. Last weekend he want to hang out, and we just randomly drove. this weekend I helped him finish some carpentry work for his job (I can do almost anything, have I mentioned that?). I confronted him about the narcissim thing, which was pretty unpleasant. In my circle, we rarely apologize. Instead, of taking away by unsaying things, we just sort of say more things. I got a lecture about "having truth" in you, and about how I have "honor" and "don't back down." This guy talks like a self-help book, BTW.

So now I am basically back where I was in 3rd year law school. My best law school friend is now my roommate. I am talking to prospective cancer girl again for the first time in 5 years (she needs a new name... I'll get around to it). My adopted little brother is around. I live in the middle of nowhere. All I need is to start dating sweet&dumb again (as bad an idea as that may be, it may also be a good idea -- perhaps a substitute will suffice), lift a lot of weights, and pick fights with semi-pro hockey players and I may have to start checking the calendar to figure out what year it is...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home