... making an omelette

Saturday, March 24, 2007

My life as a construction worker, Part Deux

Unemployment is not agreeing with me. Noticing this, my Vietnamese little brother asked me to help him on a couple of his jobs on Thursday and Friday of last week. See, he's sort of a carpenter, and he gets sent around to build shelves, cabinets, entertainment centers, put up moldings in rooms, etc. No pay, but it got me out of the house.

I'll post some pictures later.

Manual labor is highly therapeutic. I think the need to see the results of our labor is hardwired into us because we used to be hunter-gatherers. Between the two of us we did 5 days of work in less than 2 days. We built two cabinets (pictures to follow), put up crown molding in a walk-in closet (there's a story there), and drove to BFE to install some shelves (picture and story there).

Despite the therapy of seeing the fruits of my labor, doing the manual labor thing also helps me focus on getting my shit back together. Which is good, because I have a second interview next week. Yaaaaay.

Bought a bunch of new tools, including a cool flooring nailer, which I'll post some pictures of. Floor is moving along slowly, but the new tools should change that. Need 48 hours for the construction adhesive to dry on the Luaun, which we should finish tacking in tomorrow. I'll post some pictures so Nic can humor me with feigned interest, and tirelaw can feel guilty for not helping.

The movie killzone REALLY, REALLY sucks, btw.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home